Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

16 Aug 2023

*Story of My Son's Debut at the Tomie Festival*


I started to live on the Gotō Islands with my 19-year-old son.
A half-Japanese born between a Japanese mother(me), and my Canadian husband.

With our three sons, our conversations follow a pattern: I speak Japanese, and they reply in English. When they give me a puzzled look, I switch to English and the conversation continues.

Born and raised in Canada, he grew up in the same house, and never moved before.

This time he's staying with me on the Gotō Islands for an extended period. In an unfamiliar country, dealing with unfamiliar language, weather, and battling with insects, he initially felt a bit out of place.
Yet, he never once uttered,

"I want to go back."

Instead, he said,
"I can't leave without trying something new."

I appreciate that he trusts and came along with me, and faced challenges together. I wonder if he realizes how much strength he gives to me. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU my son.

While he was still adjusting to life on Tomie Island, he came across a taiko drum performance as part of a triathlon event. Intrigued, he joined the Tomie Balamon Club and began learning Wokou Taiko (Japanese pirate drumming).
He has a musical background, specializing in the harp. Isn't he cool?!
Thus, his knack for rhythm made him adept at taiko drumming, and he quickly made his debut at the Tomie Festival through the club.



I haven't had the chance to witness it yet since he drives himself to the taiko club. Apparently, the vibrations of the drums resonating throughout his body bring him immense joy, and he returns home with sparkling eyes after each practice.
Tomorrow at the Tomie Festival, starting at 18:45 at Tomie Elementary School, he will make his debut with the Wokou Taiko (Tomie Balamon Club).
Everyone, please come and be his audience!

He's 19 years old and quite skilled in English (of course). We are talking it would be fun for him to have similar-aged friends who can teach him Japanese and he can share his English.

By the way, he works part-time at the bakery
"Wondertrunk travel-bakery"
near the Tao Bus Stop in Tomie Town until around 2 p.m. on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
Feel free to visit him and say hello and buy delicious bread!

Here's the schedule for the Tomie Festival, available on the Gotō City Tourism website: Tomie Festival Schedule.

No comments: