Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

22 Apr 2013

Hospice series 5 ~ taking training

This story is continued from Hospice series 4

2012 April, finally, the time came to me to take the Hospice Volunteer Training. It is 10 sessions, twice a week for 5 weeks, learning the following subjects and more.


  • History and Guiding Principals of Hospice Palliative Care
  • Programs and Services of the Chilliwack Hospice Society
  • The Roles of a Hospice Volunteer
  • Hospice Palliative Care and Pain Management
  • Communication and Healthy Boundaries
  • Family Dynamics
  • The Role of the Hospice Palliative Care Team
  • Advance Care Planning
  • The Volunteer and Client Relationship
  • Confidentiality and Ethical Practice
  • Loss, Grief and Bereavement
  • Children and Grief
  • Diversity and End-of-Life Care
  • Psychosocial and Spiritual Care
  • Complementary Therapies
  • Practicing Self-Care 

It sounds strange, but I was fascinated by all the information 
around the death and dying. To me, the story around the death seems very
sacred and mystical, not scary, because I respect the death as much as the baby's birth.


Of course, it is very sad, and I am easy to cry when I hear someone had
passed away, but at the same time, I feel like I want to give a big round
of applause for the person who just passed away and say,
"Congratulations on completing another life ! "



However, towards the end of the 10 session, I still didn't know if I would be a fit
for the Hospice volunteer.  I took the volunteer training so I could do reiki
for the hospice patients and families, but I wasn't sure if I could follow all
the small rules around it.  


I have a free spirit, and I don't like to be held down with rules and regulations...

Hummmmm,
I could volunteer for the bereavement group as I have experienced 
both parents's death already, I know how grief feels.


Hummmmm, 
I could volunteer for the children's bereavement group as I lost my father
when I was 4 years old, I remember how I felt back then.


Hummmmm,
After all, I didn't know if I would really do a volunteer or not, but I was enjoying
the training very much.


However, the very last week of the entire training, we were closing up 
the group by sharing the comment from each person.

Some said,
"It was very informative and enjoy each session."

Some said,
"I would like to volunteer for the vigil support."

Some said,
"I am not sure if I will be doing volunteer as my life is very busy now, but definetely
in the future. Please be in touch!"


Then one lady said,

"I took this training to be able to start up a new bereavement group with Hospice. 
The bereavement group is specific for people who lost their loved ones by suicide."





B-I-N-G-O !  That's it. 


I found it, I found it. I found my place. 


This is where I should be as a volunteer.
It wasn't Reiki that Hospice was calling me, but this suicide bereavement group 
is the one!


This was the reason I came to this particular group for the training, 
that is why I had to wait for 4 years, 
that is why Universe changed the training month to April instead of
usual March so I could attend it!



Yes, I am quite optimistic in this way, I truly think that the Universe is working 
for me :) 



I've got to talk to this lady, Joan, if I could be in any help for this group.



It seems like my path is leading to a completely different direction now...




To be continued,,,




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and it hit a chord. I initially volunteered for hospice hoping to provide Reiki to patients, but our conservative hospice does not allow it. I decided to remain a patient care volunteer while periodically pestering the powers that be about starting a volunteer reiki program. So for two years, although I've enjoyed spending time with patients, I don't feel as though I really am a good fit in this role. This morning, I had a "bingo" moment like yours, where it occurred to me that I might try to approach the bereavement department at hospice and offer reiki to the bereaved. It would be an easier place to start, and I think it's where I'm supposed to be. (I found your blog while looking for ideas for initiating volunteer reiki programs for hospice bereavement programs.) Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in identifying where the universe wants you to use your talents! Kathy

Mari Okazaki said...

Hi Kathy,
Thank you for your comment !
Life always amazes me how it leads my path. I had a clear intention to do Reiki for hospice patient, but now I am involved with a bereavement group. This group actually took me to a deeper level of my healing journey and it has been amazing!
Wishing you all the best for you, too!
Mari