Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

25 Jan 2011

Be grateful

One of the most important teaching of Reiki is "Gokai", the five Principle.





Reiki practitioners and teachers are taught to live our life with Gokai.
It is not like the commandments that if you don't follow through, you get
discipline.  
It is a suggestion how to live our life.


Just for Today,
Do not be angry,
Do not worry,
Be grateful,
Do your duties fully,
Be kind to others.


In Japanese


Kyo dakewa
Ikaruna
Shinpai suna
Kansha shite
Gyo o hageme
Hitoni shinsetsuni






One of the Gokai I personally like a lot is 


 "Be grateful"

The true meaning of "Be grateful" in Gokai is to be grateful for a small things
that we do not even think of in every day life.


Be grateful for the air that we breath in and out,
Be grateful for the colour of the dandelion,
Be grateful for the smell of the fresh cut grass, etc.


When I teach Jikiden Reiki class, I always share one story of my memorable
moment of "Being grateful"..




After my mother's unexpected death, it was such a shocking thing that
I, 25years old young adult, could not adjust myself to the sudden change 
from "a life surrounded by family" to "a life by myself".


When I came home from work,  room was dark and cold, no conversation, and felt 
like really no one cares about me, and I felt like there is no reason for me to be 
in this world.


Grateful to my friends who lived close by and cheered me up, and sisters who lived far away but cared deeply about me.  




But, I really missed the warmth of the home.




Towards the end of the lonely 4 years, I met my husband.


At first, I was scared to commit myself to a relationship, because I did not 
want to get hurt by losing loved one anymore. I would rather stay alone, so then
there would be no one to lose.  But somehow, he was able to change my mind
and we started to live together.


I remember the one grateful moment that brought tears in my eyes.


He came home from work, opened the door and said,
"Tadaima !"  - means "I'm home!"


Then I said,
"Okaeri !" - means "Welcome home!"  


"Tadaima' and "Okaeri" is a greeting conversation that happens in family in Japan, 
every day, sometime 10 times a day. This conversation does not happen
when you visit your friend's place, it is a family conversation.




When I said "Okaeri!", I felt such a gratitude that
"Did I just say 'Okaeri' ?  Wooow, there is a person who is coming back here as a home, 
and I live here."


"This conversation would not happen if I was alone."


"Tadaima!" and "Okaeri!" 


I never thought that such a simple conversation that we do not even think of, 
was such a heart warming words.




I was able to understand the love of this simple conversation, 
because, once I lost it from my life






I do my best to notice every moment of grateful things in my life now 
because I know it will be too late once I lost it.




I hope this message gets to my children when they old enough to read this.  
Fill up our heart with tiny little grateful things to make no space for anger, 
worry, fear and hatred.






I see snow line goes up and down.
I smell the difference of the snow and the rain.
I see the sunset makes the mountains glow in pink, orange, sometime red.
I hear the Japanese crows and Canadian crows croak out in different tune.




There are so much to notice !






Let's notice the beauty.....





No comments: