Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

6 Jan 2011

Down's Syndromes, a sunshine in the winter

My sister, Yuki,  has Dawn's Syndrome.


We just exchanged a New Year greetings on the phone.


People who does not know what is Dawn's syndrome, it is a condition that there is one extra copy of genetic material on 21st chromosome. 


They have particular set of facial characteristics, and often have physical and mental challenges.


My sister, Yuki.
Despite of their physical and mental challenges, I am always amazed 
how pure their spirits are !!
They are like a sunshine in a cold winter, a big tree shade in a summer, 
so gentle, kind, big heart, hard working, and playful.


Just because I had grown up with her in my childhood until I moved 
to Canada 1999, I had often came across with people who misunderstand 
about people with disabilities. 

Children are often ignorant, and too honest.  
Especially old days, being mentally and physically disabled was one of 
the thing to be hidden in the society. So when the disabled people were 
in public sight, people became curious.


In my childhood, when I was in grade 1, Yuki was in grade 4.
She was in a regular public school where I also went, but she was in 
a special needs class.


I often visited her special needs class, because there were interesting 
educational toys that regular class did not have.  
I remember that she was so happy to see me when I visited her.
She, as a big sister, was so proud of me, as a baby sister, and talked to 
her teacher about me all the time.


I was so mad when my class mates, or other students teased her or 
her special needs class mates.




Some school kids told me with the squeeky, teasing type of voice,
"Your sister talks funny and I can't understand."
"Your sister looks different."


I would say,
"Its just her, what is wrong with looking different, we all look different!"


When kids teased her class mate who had only one arm,
"Why do you have only one arm!"


Then, I would fly out in front of the girl with one arm and say,with teasing type of voice,
"Then, why do you have two arms!!!"


They would tease her classmate whose skin was covered with reddish purple skin, 
"Burned skin, Burned skin, scary monster!!!"


and I would fly out in front of the boy and,
"DON'T YOU TEASE THIS BOY !!! HE IS A VERY NICE BOY AND HE IS 
MY SISTER'S CLASS MATE ### !!! NOW GO AWAY ! "


As a little girl, I did not understand why people would tease others just 
because they look different!!!


But I understand now that they just did't know.  They have only seen 
mom and dad, sisters and brothers who are perfectly healthy.



Fortunatelly, my mother was very open minded and she did not try to
hide about her daughter, in fact, she raised her daughter as regular as
possible. 
That makes us, three sisters, close together, I think.

Yuki also has a heart conditions that she can not run nor excersise that pumps
her heart harder.  She was told to live short, but she is now 43years old !
If I did not grow up with her, I will not be like I am now.
I still have so many things to learn, but lessons that I have received by growing up
with her is priceless... Really...


I think that those people who has physical and/or mental disability are
like an anchor for us all human beings.
They are giving us lessons just by being there and carry the hardships
for their body.


With my respect to my sister, Yuki.  







No comments: