Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

1 Dec 2010

unpopular bread vs popular bread



I bake bread once a week, less or more.


I am not trying to be a super mom, it is my selfish reason.

Only because, I just LOVE fresh baked bread.





They are my babies ...

If there is a person who visit right after my bread came out from the oven,
I would force them to eat, even though they just had their lunch.


I would say
"Isn't it yummy? " (means, "Say delicious.")


They have to say
"Oh yeah, this is delicious!"


I would say,
"Oh I know !"


There is nothing like
" Oh, not too bad." nor " It could be better."


"It's delicious."




Its came from my mother.


When I was living in Japan, my mom would often ask me 
to buy a bread from a bakery.
She would specify the time to go to the bakery 
to buy a bread for dinner for her guest.


"You have to go there 6:15pm !  
If you go too early, they will only sell you 
the old bread from the afternoon.  
If you go too late, the bread will be too cold."


Once, I was too busy to go to the specific time to just get a loaf of bread.


I did not listen to my mom and I just went to the store when it was convenient for me.


My mom was so disappointed.


She said,
" I can not serve this kind of old bread to my guest!"


Well, I thought,
" This is only from this morning, and they are 
only your friends who you would meet every week, 
and talk on the phone everyday.. 
They are not like a president..."


My mom had a passion for her food, 
so the bread that was baked in the morning was 
not fresh enough.  


It has to be the one that 
just came out from the oven.


SO, I went to the bakery on the SPECIFIC TIME.




Oh boy, 
the bakery filled up with the smell of 
fresh baked bread just made me wanted 
to hug the nice warm bread, put the nose 
right against the bread and deep breath !!




Now I bake bread every week.




But I have a dilemma.


I do my best to reduce the amount of gluten intake.
We don't dislike gluten nor allergic to the gluten, but it is just
easier for our body without too much gluten.


But I have never had a success by baking no-gluten bread.


It's hard, it's dry, it does not taste good, and kids don't eat.


It's become like a dog biscuit....


When I use wheat flour, 
it's fluffy, it's moist, it's so yummy and just want to put my cheek against it.


Oh, yum...  as soft as my children's cheek.



Which should I bake?




Healthier bread but no one eats.

Unhealthier bread but everyone eats.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

The love you put into your bread each week is as important as being healthy. I'm sure you use the best wheat you can find and make a very nutritious bread for your family. There isn't any point spending the time to make something gluten free if no one will eat it. Better to have the gluten and enjoy bread which is fresher than you can get at the grocery store. :)

Betty said...

Mari, I share your love of fresh baked bread, but I am not making it these last months. :(

Do you add gluten to your whole wheat bread? I know wheat flour has gluten in it, but I have seen recipes with gluten added as well. I have never used them - I do not add gluten. Maybe that is a way to balance making something healthy and making something yummy? And if you avoid gluten in your other foods, you are not eating very much, right?

Mari Okazaki said...

Thank you for the input, Linnette! I will put more love into the bread to counter balance the gluten.

Betty, I don't add gluten when I bake bread. I agree that I just avoid gluten from my other foods!

Thank you for the comment!