Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

5 Nov 2010

Honouring souls of the ancestors

I want to write something about Reiki, but I am still going on about Halloween subject.  


Because it is so BIG in this country!


Maybe just because all those shriveled pumpkins are still sitting by the door and made me think of Halloween still.


But when I asked people,


" What is really Halloween means?"


I was surprised that many people don't really know.





I googled it.


I found out that Halloween is actually to honour the souls of the dead !!!


I love it !

It's just not about the candies and costumes !!!





I just love any custom that honour the ancestors. When I do Reiki, I always thank to my ancestors who brought me here.




Over 2000 years ago, the Celts celebrated a holiday they called Samhain (pronounced "Sa-wan"). 
Samhain was the name of the God of Death. 


On the last day of October, (when the harvest season had ended) the God Samhain allowed the souls of the dead to visit the homes they once lived in.


On that night Celts would leave their homes and gather together in a field. 


Once at the field they would build a huge bonfire
this fire was as big as a tool shed, to scare away 
all the evil spirits and any ghost, goblins, or any other demons 
that may be roaming around in the night.




The holiday of Samhian was 
an ancestor of the Halloween of today. 




Although it was not called Halloween at first. 


Somewhere around 800 A.D. the Christian church declared 
November 1st as All Saints' Day to honour all the Saints who 
did not have a special day of their own. 


On this occasion people made their old customs from 
Samhian and the Roman festivals part of the All Saints' Day rituals. 


The Catholic church also made November 2nd All Souls' Day to honour the dead.


The mass said on All Saints' Day was known as All Hallow mas. 


The evening before, October 31st became known as All Hallow Eve. 


Over time the name has been shortened to Halloween.


Did you know???





I found it is very fascinating and reminds me the ritual of my hometown, Nagasaki.


In my hometown, Nagasaki, there is a ritual called
"Shoro Nagashi" on August 15th, during Obon holidays.


Obon is the Japanese custom to honor the souls of family's ancestors. 


Every year from August 13 ~ 15, this custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit clean their ancestors's graves, and when the spirits of ancestors are supposed to revisit the household altars.


"Shoro Nagashi" is part of this ritual that is in Nagasaki. 
It is mainly for the person who passed away within a past year to send the soul to the spirit world.


It sounds beautiful.  You might imagine that the ceremony is heart warming and touching, maybe bring tears in your eyes.


But the day of the Shoro Nagashi is actually VERY EXCITING for people who did not lose loved ones.


My blood bubbles when I hear fire crackers, because 
it reminds me the day of Shoro Nagashi.


The family build a ship looking float. Usually it is decorated with many lantans. 




This float carries a soul of a person who passed away in a past year, and brings it to the ocean to send off to the spirit world.




The family push this float through the town to the ocean.


While they are moving towards the ocean, they use 
significant amount of fire crackers.


video: Fire crackers go crazy
Because of the fire crackers, people tend to think this is a festival, but it is actually a 
Buddhist ceremony.


If you ever travel to Japan in August, please travel down to Nagasaki and have a look at Shoro Nagashi.


Don't forget the ear plugs !!!
Video : Nagasaki Shoro Nagashi


Shoro Nagashi is actually a great dating spot
for high schoolers.
Boy proud of the girl who is in 
a summer kimono.
Hold hands together but no one could see in the crowd.
It is too noisy to make any conversation,
but sharing the same time together.


Ahhhhh, heart warming moments, 
but never happened for me!


2 comments:

Ray C said...

Cool. I really enjoy reading your blog. There is a certain joy that you have and it comes through in your blog. Thank you.

Mari Okazaki said...

For rayC,
Oh, Thank you for your comment!
I am so happy to hear that you enjoy my blog, and feel my joy through my writing!
Thank you!