Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

3 Feb 2012

Truffle Chocolate

The colour of the town is filled with Red, Pink, Hearts.


Yes, the Valentine's day is coming up soon.


A year ago, I wrote about how different the Valentines day between Canada and Japan.




I used to hyped up with the Valentines day's event when I was a teenager ~ early 20s. Valentine's day is the day that girls get to give chocolate to a boy and tell "I love you." 


Also, often girls give chocolates to male friends (not a boy friend but good friend),
to show the appreciation for the friendship. (That could turn into a romance, sometime!)


Also female workers give chocolates to male co-workers and bosses.


So this time of the year, Japan is filled with chocolates!


Same as in my house, when my mom was still alive, this season was usually
the chocolate making days.


My mom used to be a cooking teacher, and she has so many recipe that she had left
for us.  One of them is,,,


"Truffle Chocolate"


We used to make thousands of those at home, wrapped nicely and sell them for friends and families who wanted to give chocolate for their romances, partners, friends,
co-workers, bosses etc.  

If people buy truffle chocolate at store, it would be very expensive, so they would buy
from our kitchen !


But 1997 Valentines were not as fun as it used to be, because my mom wasn't feeling
well at that time. We did make truffle chocolate, but just for ourselves and not
for sale.


10 days after, my mom passed away.


A year later, I made truffle chocolates by myself, because people wanted to buy, but it wasn't fun anymore.  So I stopped making them.

Since then, I just did not feel like following this particular recipe because it was bringing
back a sad memory.


However, I think I got over it.  Since I went to Japan, I finally feel like I let go of
the last bit of grieve that I was carrying around. (At least for now.)

When I was in town today, I saw the pink and red and hearts and chocolate all over 
the store, and naturally my hands reached to the ingredients to make truffle chocolates. 

I pulled out my mom's recipe and called my kids and started to make the truffle chocolate
for the first time after 14 years.




Anyone would like to try? Come as soon as possible before they are eaten up !






3 comments:

Tamikko said...

mmmm, yummy! I love truffles. I'm still looking for the perfect recipe. I think it's great that you are making truffles again with your family :)

Mari Okazaki said...

Maybe we can make it together ?!

Dhana said...

I do, I want to try! Wow Mari, you are so talented.Glad you can make the truffles again with a light heart.