Jikiden Reiki

Jikiden Reiki is the Reiki from its birth place, Japan.
Nothing is added or amended from its original teaching from Mr. Chujiro Hayashi, one of the 20 students of Mr. Usui, the founder of Reiki.

12 Nov 2011

Garbage for others is treasure for me !!!

I am Japanese. I love Sushi, especially Ikura, the raw salmon roe.






I grow up with raw fish, raw fish eggs, raw egg on a rice bowl, 
I even had eaten shrimps and small fish alive, yes alive in a mouth.
 ... OK, it might be too much information for some of you are reading this story.  






I never knew Canadian fisher man use fish roe as a fishing bait. 


"Nooooooo!"


The worst is as soon as they catch fish, they clean the guts and throw the fish roe away.


"NOOOOOOOOOO!"



Salmon roe is a super delicacy for Japanese people !!!
Save it !  Save it !!!




My husband likes fishing, so does his brother (my brother in law). My husband likes 
lake fishing to catch smaller fish like kokanee or traut while his brother likes
river fishing for bigger fish, Salmon !


Long time ago, I asked my brother in law if he ever catch female fish with eggs still in 
its belly. 


He said "Yeah, sometimes. I usually use the eggs as bait, but people usually clean the guts out right at the river."


I asked to him,
"Is it possible if you can keep the eggs?"


He said
"Sure, but what for?"


I said,
"For eating?"


He said,
"O...K... How do you eat them....?"


I said,
"Raw."


Most of the Canadian, the reaction would be


Yeeeeeeewwww!






But for Japanese, Salmon roe is total delicacy !  It cost $2.50 to order one little sushi
with one teaspoon full of salmon roe (Ikura) on top. It cost $30 to buy one little jar of
Ikura!






Anyway, few days ago, he dropped by at our place with a bag of salmon roe in his hand!!!



Woooo Hooooo !!!!  THANK YOU !!!!



This is how it looks like right after came out from salmon belly.

You can not eat with all the membrane, vein, string, fiber etc.  
You have to clean it gently and entirely.





Tada~! This is how it looks when it is ready to prepare for eating.

Japanese people usually marinate in soy sauce, rice wine and sugar and eat it right away.
But my husband is not comfortable about our children are eating raw. So at least I can do is freeze them once.




After defrost it and marinate into soy sauce, rice wine and sugar for over night,
it is ready to eat !!!


This is Japanese delicacy.
"Ikura"





My children are really looking forward to eating them for a dinner now, right now !




Of course, I saved some of them for my secret stash....  bad mom. 









5 comments:

Silvia said...

Interesting. What one think is nothing is treasure for another. :P silvia (NY)

Tamikko said...

Yum Yum Yum!!! I love them but I usually see the small ones. I love the small ones the best, especially on a Dynamite Roll :)

Mari Okazaki said...

The small ones are called "Tobiko", and it is a flying fish roe. I love them both !!!

Dhana said...

Wow Mari- I love the little comics and the cartoons, especially the "scream"
I love sushi, but even after a decade in Japan, I never did get used to the roe, they always feel so weird when they pop in the back of my teeth!

Mari Okazaki said...

The "pop" in the mouth is the best part, Dhana!